Raising chickens as I do, it’s not uncommon to have eggs on hand – a LOT of eggs! As a result, I am always on the lookout for new recipes so I can use my lovely surplus of eggs! Quite honestly, I do believe this recipe is a keeper!
FRESH VEGETABLE & HAM STRATA
THIS SIMPLE EGG STRATA CAN BE PREPARED A DAY AHEAD, REFRIGERATED AND BAKED JUST BEFORE SERVING. SOURDOUGH ENGLISH MUFFINS MAKE UP THE EASY BASE.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup (6 ounces) ham, chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 sourdough English muffins, split in half
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Co-Jack cheese, divided
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 package (0.9 ounce) hollandaise sauce mix
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In (2-qt.) Saucepan, cook asparagus, covered, in small amount of boiling water 6-8 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Using Food Chopper, chop ham and bell pepper. In bottom of Rectangular Baker, place English muffin halves, split sides up. Top with 1 cup of the cheese, asparagus, ham and bell pepper. In Classic Batter Bowl, whisk eggs, milk, dry mustard, salt and black pepper until well blended. Pour egg mixture over ingredients in Baker. Bake 35 minutes. Top with the remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake 5-7 minutes or just until cheese is melted. Meanwhile, prepare hollandaise sauce according to package directions. Cut strata into squares. Serve with sauce.
- 12 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Approximately 270 calories and 16 grams of fat per serving
- To snap off and discard the woody base from fresh asparagus, hold spear at both ends and bend several times until it breaks.
- To cook the asparagus in the microwave, place asparagus pieces in Large Micro-Cooker®. Add 2 tablespoons water. Microwave on HIGH 5-7 minutes or until crisp-tender, stirring after 3 minutes.
- Fresh broccoli florets may be substituted for the asparagus. Cook as directed.